Ran my first session of TftL tonight.
It was a mini intro scenario to populate the kids lives. There were two kids in this starter adventure – they were 13 year old twins. One chose Weirdo, (Kennet) the other Jock (Olaf). Kennet’s special item is his Walkman, Olafs is his BMX.
We learned their mum (Camille) is considered hot, their sister (Astrid) is a pain, her boyfriend is ok. There’s a dumb guy in their class Rurik who they can’t rely on to make excuses for them, there’s a 3-kid rival gang. We learned their Dad left their mum and moved away with his girlfriend. They haven’t seen him in two years.
I discovered I want a lot more detail on the towns. Even just maps. We based them in Stenhamra just because we couldn’t reconcile how to get them to school any other way.
PLOT BELOW (spoilers)
A basic plot outline….It’s late May in 1984.
1. The players hear about something weird in the water about a mil north of the town. They decide to check it out.
2. They find a rusted Magnetrine hulk in behind a copse of trees and smell smoke. Inside the remnants of a small fire are still warm. They also find what seems to be pie crumbs.
3. Hearing a creaking noise, they discover a young human male, maybe 20 years old, with a shaved head and wearing a full black bodysuit. He’s so pale he’s almost luminous. They hear voices outside and scare off a group of younger Kids. (This will be later Trouble)
4. They give him their snacks and they learn that he’s mute so they communicate as best they can. He draws a satellite dish. He then draws a telephone. Their heads are filled with thoughts of E.T.
5. They decide to smuggle him to the telephone booth outside the Library that night. First they head home to get the necessary items – a disguise and some money for the phone box.
6. Mom delays them with dinner and they make a lie to say they are going around to Ruriks house for homework. They can’t find the box of clothes belonging to their Dad (Mom must have thrown it out!) so they steal some Mom jeans and a leather jacket. And empty their piggy banks. Mom says that the Army was in the town in their big trucks.
7. They arrive back at the Hulk and “Max” (after Max von Sydow) is then escorted in disguise into the town. Once at the telephone booth he types in a massively long sequence into the phone and then speaks IN RUSSIAN! He recites numbers into the phone and then hangs up and races back to the rusting hulk.
8. When they arrive back at the hulk, he’s already started to put on the rest of his frogman gear. The betrayal – they thought he was an alien! He plods into the water with a quick SPACEEBA!
9. They have to race home to a scolding from Mom about lying about where they were going. But they’re home safe.
10. End of Part One.